Johnson Braund Design Group, Inc. Corporate Office
- Location: Seattle, WA
- Climate Region: 4C: Mixed - Marine
- Building type(s): Commercial office
- Renovation of a 1985 building, last renovated in 2009
- 8,000 ft2 (743 m2)
- Project scope: 2-story building
- Urban setting
- Completed January 1985
System upgrades and O&M improvements are ongoing.
Rating: EPA Energy Star --Level: 86
A small, owner-occupied office that is undergoing aggressive energy retrofits and a focus on energy efficiency. An ultimate goal of net-zero by 2012.
- Energy use reductions of 70% over baseline
- Water savings of 95% over baseline
- 20% of energy used generated on-site via rooftop photovoltaic
- EUI of 35 kBtu/ft2
- Interior air quality exceeding standards for hospital operating rooms
- Preparations for electric vehicle charging
Owner & Occupancy
- Owned and occupied by 52nd Ave. LLC, Corporation, for-profit
- Typically occupied by 20 people, 45 hours per person per week; and 10 visitors per week, 2 hours per visitor per week
- Expected Building Service Life: 60 years
An Architecture Firm.
Office (65%), Conference (10%), Restrooms (5%), Electrical systems (5%), Cafeteria (5%), Mechanical systems (5%), Lobby/reception (5%)
Wildlife habitat (45%), Parking (45%), Drives/roadway (10%)
Integrated team, Design charrette, Simulation, Green specifications, Commissioning, Performance measurement and verification, Operations and maintenance, Wildlife habitat, Indigenous vegetation, Efficient fixtures and appliances, Efficient irrigation, Drought-tolerant landscaping, Airtightness, Passive solar, HVAC, Lighting control and daylight harvesting, Efficient lighting, On-site renewable electricity, Adaptable design, Recycled materials, Local materials, Occupant recycling, Connection to outdoors, Daylighting, Ventilation effectiveness, Moisture control, Thermal comfort, Indoor air quality monitoring
Case Studies Database provided by the U.S. Department of Energy's
Building Technology Program, High Performance Buildings.