In Depth Case Studies
Beardmore Building (Beardmore Building)
Photo credit: Marie Dominique Verdier
Originally built in 1922 by Charles Beardmore, the building housed offices, mercantile shops, a ballroom and a theater. After decades of neglect under outside ownership, Brian Runberg, an architect and great-grandson of Charles Beardmore, purchased the building in 2006 and began an extensive whole building historic restoration. According to Runberg, the building fosters "a careful balance between preservation of existing features and the integration of new technologies and sustainable building practices." The Beardmore now has the distinction of being one of the few buildings in the country that is both LEED-Gold certified and on the National Register of Historic Places.
The project demonstrates a very successful renovation in terms of actual energy use compared to older buildings. The actual energy use of the occupied portion is currently 32 kBtu/sf/yr, 66% better than the average U.S. office building.
Some significant features used are:
Owner & Occupancy
The location currently functions primarily as office space, with tenant leased area comprising 85% of the building (when fully occupied) and a 4,100 square foot theater to be renovated at a later time.
Integrated team, Commissioning, Insulation levels, Glazing, HVAC, Lighting control and daylight harvesting, Efficient lighting, Recycled materials, Daylighting, Natural ventilation
Case Studies Database provided by the U.S. Department of Energy's